[Eurostars2] Looking for partners for developing high performance composites utilizing bacterial nanocellulose
A government-funded Korean research institute is preparing for a project proposal under Eurostars2 in 2018. The main goal of the joint research is to create high performance composites utilizing bacterial nano cellulose materials and to further develop process for forming sheets and application studies. To this end, the institute seeks partners specialized in bacterial nano cellulose materials. A reliable and technological company, university, and a laboratory are all welcomed to join for R&D.
Инновационные аспекты и преимущества
- Natural cellulose composites technology will bring greater economic ripple effect by achieving improvement in energy efficiency and reduction in CO2 Emission
- It will strongly respond to international environmental laws by securing core technology of low carbon green composites and provide opportunity to lead the global markets of eco-friendly composites
- Industrial competitiveness will be enhanced by promoting green material industry. Thus, economic and industrial ripple effect will have positive effect
- Green composites based on cellulose are applicable to overall industrial areas such as electrical and electronic components, packing materials, vehicles and etc
Коды рыночных применений
08001004 Fibre-reinforced (plastic) composites
Cellulose material has been drawing attention as an eco-friendly renewable material which is applicable to a wide range of industry areas such as binder resin, stiffeners and structure materials. Cellulose nanocrystals found in the cell walls of trees are ideal candidates for polymer nano composites.
Cellulose nanocrystals are biocompatible, reusable, non-toxic, and affordable. In addition, not only this can be easily extracted from wood pulp but also abundant as it’s a by-product of the paper industry. However, the problem is that although cellulose is a biodegradable material, it is difficult to manufacture a composite with hydrophobic (having little or no affinity for water) plastic because of its high hydrophilicity (strong affinity for water). This is the point where needs for research and development arise to solve such situations.
Compared to pulp-based cellulose materials, bacterial cellulose has high chemical purity and excellent mechanical properties. Therefore, the Korean institute expects to develop high-performance composites utilizing bacterial cellulose materials through collaboration with partners.
Through the joint research, the institute expects to commercialize BNC (bacterial nanocellulose) as well as developing high-performance composites in sheet form. To perform the joint research, the type of a partner the institution is looking for is a company, research institute or university with experience and knowledge in developing bacterial cellulose materials and its feasibility study. The institute is open for collaboration with a partner of any nationality.
The expected outcome of R&D project will be as follows:
1. Commercialization of bacterial nanocellulose (BNC)
2. High performance composite materials based on BNC
The institute aims to join Eurostars2 with the deadline of call on September 13th, 2018. The project is expected to take three years of development time including commercialization, and the institute is in discussion with several companies in Korea to form a consortium. The annual plan of the project is as below:
1. First year: Development of manufacturing technology of bacterial nano cellulose fiber (shape and purity control)
2. Second year: Development of unit manufacturing technology of bacterial nano cellulose fiber in kilogram level
3. Third year: Improvement of bacterial nano cellulose fiber to high-performance composite in sheet form
As the Korean institute wishes to submit the project proposal to the Eurostars office on September 1st 2018, they intend to limit the issuance of EOIs for partner search to August 1st, 2018.
Технологические ключевые слова
02007005 Composite materials
Тип искомого партнера
- Type and role of partner sought: Any company, university, and laboratory which are technologically reliable
- Required activity of partner: Development of bacterial nano cellulose material and commercialization feasibility study
Тип требующегося сотрудничества
Research cooperation agreement
К списку профилей